What is FLP?
Involvement of family members in a business or assets left for them, and then it is called family limited partnership (FLP).DC Fawcett Real Estate The FLP can be established by spending a cost of 5000 to 10,000 dollars.
It is a partnership agreement signed in consent between the family members who are the active participants in trade or business. It is used to divide the income and profit equally among the family members. To administer the objectives of the family members, FLP is required.
The business can be in the form of real estate property which can be even vacant land or holdings or assets like gold, stocks, and bonds.
The advantage of FLP is to transfer the value of the assets to any member in the family which leads to reduction in the estate.
Types of Partnership
General and limited are two types of partnership. Initially, general partnership is created with interests of limited partnership. Now the general partner has all the ability to gift the limited partnership interest to his or her heirs or other eligible members in the family.
The general partnership gets the entire ownership over the asset as well as he or she can control the other members in the family whereas limited membership pass on their powers to their heirs and other eligible members in the family.
DC Fawcett discusses about the pros and cons of FLP.
Pros of FLP
- Reduces the burden of income tax issues as you can pass on the powers to your heirs.
- Transfer of ownership is systematic: The value of the shares remains with the value of the estate.
- Tax benefits
- Income tax savings from limited membership when you add your heirs onto your limited membership.
Drawbacks of FLP
- Heirs are burdened with capital gains liability which is based on the property type, which can be further studied with the attorney’s help.
- The stepped-up value is not constant.
- General members are prone to risk as do not have any protection for their asset.
- Minor (heirs) cannot get ownership easily: it requires the interest of a guardian or a parent membership. General members should control the activities. So, the family members cannot choose them for limited membership category.
- DC Fawcett complains about the exorbitant tax levied on the assets which are not oriented to business and may lead to capital gain unnecessarily.
- There is a financial loss when there is a property ownership transfer.
We infer from DC Fawcett reviews that the benefits are less in FLP but when executed in the right way, the family members can enjoy all the advantages. Don’t become a victim by getting involved in a scam; In order to do that, you need to consult a financial adviser to know in depth about FLP.
The attorneys generally deal with FLP’s and you can also take the help of financial planners. You can learn more about financial advisers and how to hire them by browsing DC Fawcett virtual real estate investing club.
DC Fawcett virtual real estate investing club has blogs which discusses more about the mistakes that an investor commits frequently. Investors can have a look at it before making your investments.